Compass Health to Provide Free Prostate Cancer Screening
Compass Health will provide free prostate Cancer Screening on Wednesday September 23, 2015, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. For more information, please call (517) 999-5900.
What are the key statistics about prostate cancer?
(from the American Cancer Society)
- Other than skin cancer, prostate cancer is the most common cancer in American men. The American Cancer Society’s estimates for prostate cancer in the United States for 2015 are:
- About 220,800 new cases of prostate cancer
- About 27,540 deaths from prostate cancer
- About 1 man in 7 will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime.
- Prostate cancer occurs mainly in older men. About 6 cases in 10 are diagnosed in men aged 65 or older, and it is rare before age 40. The average age at the time of diagnosis is about 66.
- Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, behind only lung cancer. About 1 man in 38 will die of prostate cancer.
- Prostate cancer can be a serious disease, but most men diagnosed with prostate cancer do not die from it. In fact, more than 2.9 million men in the United States who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point are still alive today.